2007/12/24

Why isn't Christmas Christmas?

For a while now, I've had trouble with Christmas; with the tired old songs we sing every year, the same scenery, the same sermons. Last year I could chalk it up to just being out of it, but this year... I certainly recognize the importance of Christ's birth. God was born a human without original sin to the descendants of David, a legitimate contender to the throne of Israel had it existed then, as a child so he could experience the complete human experience. I'm thankful for that, but I'm thankful every day for that. This year, the thing that has stood out to me most about Jesus isn't His birth, His death, or His teaching, but his humanity; the idea that God came down and experienced 30 years of normal life as just-another-person as far as most were concerned so that He could fully understand what it is to be human; what it is to labor, what it is to struggle, what it is to be tempted, what it is to be kept awake past when you want to sleep, what it is to be nagged at. Perhaps the understanding that God understands us so completely, not just as an observer outside of time, but as a co-participant in life so blows my mind that the rest pales in comparison; I don't know, but I certainly hope I figure it out.

2 comments:

Kyle Burkholder said...

very cool...

his birth was beauty in the sense that it was the beginning - maybe the beginning of our ability to relate to him.

(as god, i have to imagine that he understood us completely without ever becoming like us. i guess the potter undertands the pot - but the pot can only feel appreciated fully if the potter emulates the pot as well. sorry, rambling...)

Jay said...

Perhaps, but consider this: Let's say that you're a veterinarian and have studied biology and know all the ways, reasons, and courses of death in dogs. You've seen countless dogs die and put countless more "to sleep". Still, I think when it's your own dog that dies, you wouldn't be prepared; the experience cannot be gained by other means.

Maybe you're right; maybe I'm right. I suspect we'll never know for sure until we meet Him face to face.