2007/12/16

Two prayers are better than one

This morning in Sunday bible study, Jeff passed out slips of paper with subjects for the recipient to talk about briefly. I got "prayer request"; this evoked a negative emotion because I didn't really understand the why we should ask others to pray for us. I thought, "As long as I am God's child, He will hear me just as well as He will hear the two of us." As I thought about it I remembered the last time someone had asked me to pray for them, then how I prayed for them. Then, Hebrews 4:15 came to my mind:

"For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin.

I remembered that one of the purposes of Christ's stay on Earth was to better understand the human existance so He can convey our prayers to the Father. I realized that how I pray for a situation is tainted by my life experiences and that my prayer probably won't be the same as another's, given that some of the situation is known; this is at least one reason why two prayers are better than one.

1 comment:

Jeff Reininger said...

perhaps another reason is to lighten the load placed on the person with the problem. none of us like to keep our pains buried inside...it's much easier to allow others to comfort you...and pray not only for the situation, but also for you. after all, the burden doesn't only effect the person its happening to, but also everyone surrounding that person. the more people, the lighter the burden. we must all allow others to grab a handle.