2009/02/12

Everything is different but nothing has changed

My understanding of my story is different, but the truth of my story never changed.

When I was 13, I told God I wanted to go to heaven and if he took over my life, that was okay. Sin was not dealt with, there was no relationship. When I was 17, He revealed in a dream that I didn't know him. I confessed my sinfulness, accepted His payment, and promised my all to Him. I went from trying to be righteous on my own to living in his righteousness. He gave me joy, a hunger for his truth, and hope. When I finished high school, I got a job; a job that I took the bus to, walking more than an hour each day round trip. The time I spent walking was time spent walking with God; even today I remember those walks with fondness (the cool morning walks more than the hot afternoon walks). When I was 20, I got a car; my lack of discipline meant this cut out my only quiet time with God. I quickly fell out of fellowship with him and spent 4 years living in sin. One night as I got ready for bed, a voice asked me, "Why don't you pray anymore?" I answered, "I'm ashamed." The voice said, "Isn't that what the devil wants?" With this He called me out of my darkness; I devoted myself to the relationship through prayer regardless of anything I had to be ashamed of. He has led me into a blessed life, revealing his truth to me time and again. I was once a slave to shame, but now I am free to live for Him.

2 comments:

Kyle Burkholder said...

freedom is good. i like this story.

jose said...

Ditto to what Kyle said.