2010/02/14

The power of brokenness

(or All I need is you, Lord II)

It's funny how time reveals new things that you've known for a long time but didn't realize it. Or maybe you did and forgot . . .

I've been thinking about this a lot, lately. How we build up these walls so easily. Walls painted with pictures we want others to see. Walls of pride. Walls of confidence in ourselves. How these walls block out God's voice. How they (we) need to be broken to hear God. How blessed it is to be in a place where you're constantly stretched and broken. How easily, naturally, and habitually we build these walls. How can we live leaning on God while we're leaning on our wall? How I want to live broken but how I dread a fall. Sometimes, all it takes is the right song; the resonance shatters the wall. Sometimes, the right picture. Other times, the right story. Even so, eventually we grow callous and need new songs, pictures, stories. I want to hear God, but I keep building these walls.

No comments: