2011/08/06

Seasons of Life and Music

Somehow, my collection of music has changed very little over the past decade. This thought is somewhat surprising to me, considering how important music is to me. Anyway, while my love of Eurobeat music has been consistent, I've noticed that my selections of "Christian" music (from my mostly fixed library) have shifted over the years. For instance, early on I was a huge fan of Skillet; mostly this was due to their sound, but also due to resonance with lyrics in many of their songs indicating a desire for to be changed radically. As I grew deeper in Christ, though, these songs lost their meaning to me; I already saw the change I had desired. I picked up on The Benjamin Gate originally because of their unique sound, but the deep lyrics drew my attention; since, my fondness has not abated. I ended up with a lot of Jaci Velasquez, somehow, about half of it was probably Christmas presents. I thought it was decent music, but very poppy and seemingly superficial. It's funny, then, that I'm drawn to it so much now because though simple, many songs deeply resonate with me. Newsboys was always fun and a bit odd, but more recently I can't stand the raucous superficiality of most of their songs. P.O.D. has been fairly constant, but then it is somewhat lacking in "message." DC Talk has been a minor player for me this decade, but has recently seen a resurgence, probably due to a general reminiscence that brought back old secular artists. I've also noticed changes of opinions about various songs from old sampler CDs.

I really need to do this blog thing more often...

No comments: